Thursday, July 15, 2010

Thing 5

I reviewed wikis and was interested. I found a particular one on 'Web 2.0 - Cool Tools for School'. There were many different areas of information that was added that was interesting to me and available to find different information. At first I thought that wikis were the same as blogs. I looked at a few different wikis and they looked like blogs and saw that people were posting information the same as a blog. Then I found this one wiki and noticed that it wasn't about a blog, it was about a wiki. Different people had put their information on this site and it had been collaborated into one portal of information. This could benefit students because they can collaborate with other students in school to put their information out there for others to see where they find things and how they have access to some information that others may not have known about.

I was initially unaware that Wikipedia was called a wiki and it took me awhile to put all that together. I had not heard the term wiki until just recently and was really unaware of how it all played a role in technology. Wikipedia is a good site to use for classrooms and I use it all the time. One thing that is very crucial, though, is that you are careful with the information that is available through this wiki. Because others have access to add information that is available to them, you have to be careful at what you think is correct and what is false information.

1 comment:

  1. You're absolutely right about the difference between wikis and blogs. I tend to think of blogs as more author-centered, where one individual posts his or thoughts and other can comment on them. Wikis are much more collaborative in nature; each person who edits the wiki is an equal partner in collaboration.

    As you pointed out, wikis are a great tool for kids to use when working on group projects. They're also a great way for teachers to work together and share links, media, and resources.

    Wikipedia can be a great source of information--it's quick and easy to use. It is, however, not always credible or correct, so it can be a great tool for kids to learn about verifying information and selecting trustworthy sources for research.

    Great work; Thing 5 complete!

    ReplyDelete